Tuesday 28 October 2014

Arroz Con Pollo - My Way {A Recipe}

When I met my husband, I was introduced to a world of new flavor. His family prepares many dishes I adore, each of which had originally been cooked by his grandmother.

One favorite, Arroz Con Pollo {Chicken with Rice), I've eaten on multiple occasions as well as prepared in the various kitchens of the homes we've lived in over the past fourteen years. His family's version though, consists of using yellow rice. Yellow rice contains MSG, and we're not a fan of that in my house.

So I took the original family recipe and put my spin on it. My family loves it and so I'm sharing it with you. I don't measure when it comes to cooking, baking yes, but stick with me here and yours will turn out fabulous, I guarantee it!

Don't hate on the paper plate!

Ingredients

3 Large Chicken Breasts (off the bone) cleaned and cut into thirds (for poaching)
2 Tablespoons Adobo Seasoning, keep it on hand, this is where we shake a little "here and there" as we cook (with or without pepper, I go without and grind my own)
3 Boiling Bags White Rice (you can use the long cooking version if you wish, I just like the shortcut here)
1 Large Green Pepper, Diced
1 Large Red Pepper, Diced
1 Small White Onion, Diced
1 Fresh Jalapeno Pepper, Seeded and Diced (doesn't add a lot of heat just a nice kick in the background)
3-4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2-3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Can Petite Diced Tomato (optional)
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Directions

Heat up a large pot and add the olive oil. Toss in the peppers, onion and garlic and sweat it out. Add salt and pepper to taste.

While the veggies are working their magic, bring a pot of water to a boil. Remember, I don't measure. I simply take the pot I cook my spaghetti in, fill 'er up half way and go. Once it boils, reduce the heat to a slow simmer. Add 2 tablespoons of Adobo Seasoning and give the water a stir to make sure it dissolves. Now place your chicken in the pot, set a timer for 12 minutes and have a glass of wine while you wait (This is where I usually throw 2 boxes of Jif Cornbread into the oven to serve on the side. YUM!).

When the chicken is ready, remove it from the water and set aside for a & nbsp; moment. Rinse the pot, refill it for the rice and get that water rolling once more. Now grab two forks and shred the chicken. Once it's shredded, add the chicken to the veggies. Grab your Adobo and liberally season the chicken before you stir it into the veggies. Keep that burner going on low to keep it warm.

Once the rice is cooked (10 minutes for those boiling bags!), drain it well and add it to the chicken and veggies. Go ahead and shake on some salt and pepper before you stir (I add a bit more Adobo here too).

This is where you would add the diced tomatoes if you wish. Sometimes...I'm just not in the mood. It's good with or without.

Now get that cornbread out of the oven because this meal is hittin' the table.

Enjoy!

P.S. I don't know the nutritional value of this meal. This serves two teenagers (boys), my husband and myself with enough leftovers for one teenager the following day.

Follow me on Pinterest....I'm hoping to add more recipes soon but in the meantime? Stop by and giggle at my funny pins.

No comments:

Post a Comment