Monday 8 December 2014

Burn Baby, Burn

Have you ever woken up by jolting your body into an upright position because you just know your alarm never went off?

This happened to me today. At first I was pretty mad but then I thought my body needed a break from running today. I've been sore (in a good way) but having the morning off to sleep an extra hour could benefit my aching muscles and the sleep I so craved. A fresh start tomorrow.

The feeling that whooshes over me when I'm running isn't easy to describe. Just when I think I'm going to die I remember that it's probably just psychological. The burn might be there but that's when it it counts. Burn baby, burn.

I work behind a desk everyday. I sit here day after day, hour after hour. Yesterday I decided to get off my ass and do some little things to wake my body up. Today I'm feeling it.

I did several sets of tricep dips, incline push-ups (using my desk), squats and lunges throughout the day. I can feel the burn in my arms and chest. Also? It felt good to get out of the chair. When I sit, I am trying to focus on proper posture. It's much more difficult to sit like you're supposed to versus slouching over. It's a mini workout in itself because you use your entire core to hold the position.

Tonight I'm going to give some Burpees (a.k.a. Squat Thrusts) a go. I'm definitely not ready for the full on range of motion a Burpee offers, so I went on YouTube to get some ideas to modify the moves. I ended up reading several articles on this exercise. It's one of the top most rated moves because it involves just about every body part to do it. Somewhere along the way, I read that if you're going to modify the move, to either begin or end with one full-on Burpee. Just one. And then the next time you're doing a set of the modified version, add one more and so on. Eventually you'll be doing a full set of the move how it's intended.

This is the full range of motion Burpee
I feel pretty awesome these days. I'm not stepping on a scale anytime soon but I can already tell that things are happening to my body as it's measured by a few pairs of pants I wear often. It's a fantastic feeling!

I'm going to close today with a quote I heard (I can't remember where)....

"If it doesn't go bad within a week, you shouldn't be eating it!"

Makes sense, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment