Monday 10 November 2014

Keeping My Promise

On Wednesday, I attended the PPD Chat over at CafeMom. I was jolted out of my funk and was exposed to some energy to go home and follow through on a few promises I made to the group:
  1. Make breakfast for dinner; Homemade waffles and porkroll
  2. Bake some homemade pumpkin bread (and post my recipe today, see below)
  3. Do Yoga for 5 minutes; I did it for about 10
I enjoyed that dinner with my three sons. I baked. At the end of the evening, I dragged out my bright pink yoga mat and my little guy came dashing into my space to walk all over it. As I dipped into "down-dog" he crawled beneath me. When I went from "cat" to "cat-lift" he laughed. And I laughed right back. After such a short session, I felt relaxed and at peace. I fell asleep on the couch shortly after.

I said I was going to bake some chocolate chip cookies on top of the above three tasks but after step #2, I was a little tired of doing dishes. Perhaps I'll get to it this weekend. Psssst: It's just the Nestle Tollhouse cookie recipe I use but I pull my cookies from the oven 1-2 minutes shy, leave 'em on the baking sheet to finish baking without the direct heat of the oven. The end result is mushy gooey cookie centers that never harden. YUM!


This pumpkin bread recipe has been perfected over the years. It started as a recipe I found somewhere along the way and I've tweaked it since:

Mix Dry Ingredients:

2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg

Mix Wet Ingredients:

1 1/2 Cups Sugar (no, it's not wet but it works best mixed with the wet!)
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 1/3 Cups Canned Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!)
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Melted Unsalted Butter
2 Eggs

Combine the wet into the dry and pour into two loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees. Here's where it's tricky. I have a large and small loaf pan. The small one is done after about 40 minutes and the large after about 60 minutes. You do not want to over bake these. The toothpick test will do the trick and it will be moist every time.

My boys like my bread with powdered sugar or honey or butter. YUM! I hope you enjoy it...

Today is a new day. Thank you all for your continued support!

No comments:

Post a Comment